Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Steady Progress- the 1950's

The year is 1950. Five years ago, World War Two ended, and the USA got a new president, Harry Truman, after the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt. In two years, England will have a new monarch, Queen Elizabeth II. As the Cold War begins, the world is slowly starting to recover from World War Two, and fashion is no exception. Haute couture has made a comeback, and progress is back in motion.

Source
The women of the early 1950's were still enamored with the "New Look" of the late 1940's. Day dresses and evening dresses alike had structured bodices with tiny waists and full skirts.

Source
Source
This silhouette remained popular for the entire 1950's. Slimmer, suit-like dresses also became popular for day wear in the early-mid decade.

Source
Collars became a focal point for day wear (and on some evening gowns), with the Peter Pan collar becoming very popular.

A 1950's blouse with a Peter Pan collar.
An evening gown that plays with the concept of the accentuated collar.
A popular trait of evening gowns was the ballerina-length skirt, a skirt with a hem right above the ankle.

Source
Chiffon and silk were both popular textiles of the time, and decoration, details, and experimentation was back in full force. After the sleek silhouettes of the 1920's and 30's and the austerity of the 1940's, fashion was celebrating unabashed girliness again.

Source
Source
Source
By the end of the decade, silhouettes slimmed a little, and the boat neckline became popular.

Source
Source
Hair in the early and mid 1950's was usually worn short and curly. As the end of the decade approached and the mod fashion became popular, the iconic beehives and bouffants came into style.

Source
Source

Hats were worn less and less frequently by both men and women. The hats that were worn were small and perched on top of the curled coiffures. Often hats came with birdcage veils.

Source
The 1950's were an exciting time, filled with progress in technology, film (the Golden Age of Hollywood), music, and yes, fashion. It really brings home to me just how much things have changed not only in the 160 years from 1790 to 1950, but in the past 16 weeks in which I've been blogging about these amazing years (not counting that one week where I didn't do a post, we don't talk about that week). To find out more about my passion for historical clothing has been incredible. I've also learned more about the history of the world than I ever though possible, just through researching what went into the clothes people wore. It's truly a blessing to have been through this leg of the Decade Wednesday journey.

Though my 1790-1950 goal has been met, the weekly post element of Sprigged Muslin is far from over. I'm so excited to continue to blog as I learn, and share this amazing world of historical fripperies with you. Stay tuned, lovely things are coming this way.

3 comments:

  1. *gaspeth* Oh AR!! I'm so excited I've found your blog!!! Ah! My word, I ADORE 50s fashion. A.D.O.R.E. IT!!! :D I am now a follower of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GG! Howdy! :D I love it, too. Really, really pretty. Thanks for following! Which reminds me, I haven't followed your blog yet. I MUST AMEND THIS.

      Delete
    2. *grinneth* You are more than welcome! D'aww! Thankee! :D

      Delete

,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'aaaaaaaaaaaakAAAQA

I was going to type something clever, but my cat provided this triumph of literature. Thank you for commenting! Just keep it clean, on-topic, and respectful.