Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Decade Wednesday Extra

Fun anecdote time!

When I was researching this past week's Decade Wednesday post on the 1900's, I knew I wanted to give a nod to the numerous inventions that sprouted up around the turn of the 20th century. After doing some digging into Thomas Edison's work, I found out that I'm (very distantly) related to William Kennedy Laurie Dickson, who worked with Edison to create an early version of the movie camera. He traveled around the world and filmed several prominent Victorian figures, from Queen Victoria to Pope Leo XIII to Annie Oakley.

Here are some pictures of William and his wife Lucy that my grandma had in her garage (Lucy also happened to be an opera singer). Aren't they fabulous?

I love Lucy's scissors, watch, etc. hanging from her outfit. William's beaver coat is also really cool.

Lucy wore this gown when she was presented to Queen Victoria during her Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

You learn something new every day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'aaaaaaaaaaaakAAAQA

I was going to type something clever, but my cat provided this triumph of literature. Thank you for commenting! Just keep it clean, on-topic, and respectful.