Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Book Review: Fashion Sourcebook 1920's

Source
A couple months ago, I found myself working on a costume project that required a pretty extensive knowledge of the 1920's. Being the relative costume novice that I was (and still am, to some extent), I really only had a smattering of expertise about the Regency and Victorian eras, and next to no knowledge about the 20th century. So I decided (mostly out of necessity) to become an expert on the era overnight. After exhausting every resource on the internet, I turned to books, and this gem came into my life.

Fashion Sourcebook 1920's by Charlotte Fiell and Emmanuelle Dirix is an enormous brick of gold for fashion history enthusiasts, with pages upon pages of design sketches and photographs from the era, separated into categories of Daywear, Eveningwear, Outerwear, Accessories, and much more. It gives a clear look of both high fashion and everyday clothing in the Roaring 20's that's both educational and fun. There's also an informative forward with a comprehensive look at the elements of early 20th century life that shaped the world of fashion.

Another great feature of the book that I loved was the designer's index in the back, with a short biography of each designer, and a list of where their designs appear throughout the 576 page book. My favorite designer in the book is Atelier Bachroitz, whose feminine, whimsical, but still totally modern designs stood out among the sleek, straight lines of his contemporaries.
Source
Fashion Sourcebook 1920's is a helpful and truly enjoyable resource. It was a lifesaver for my work, and an incredible addition to my ever-growing fashion history library. Find out more about the book at its website, and click here to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment

,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'aaaaaaaaaaaakAAAQA

I was going to type something clever, but my cat provided this triumph of literature. Thank you for commenting! Just keep it clean, on-topic, and respectful.